• Choose your language:
  • Google-Translate-English to Irish Gaelic
  • Google-Translate-English to Welsh
  • Google-Translate-English to French
  • Google-Translate-English to German
  • Google-Translate-English to Italian
  • Google-Translate-English to Polish
  • Google-Translate-English to Russian
  • Google-Translate-English to Spanish
  • Google-Translate-English to Chinese
  • Google-Translate-English to Japanese
  • Google-Translate-English to Hindi
  • Google-Translate-English to Urdu
  • Add NACAS to your favorites
  • Print this page
  • Email this page to a friend
Tue 02 September, 2014
How to complain to your energy supplier

Making a complaint to your energy supplier

Last Updated: 22.01.2011

Most complaints about energy companies are about inaccurate, late or unclear energy bills and poor level of service. If you are having problems with your energy supplier read on and find out what you can do about it.

The complaints procedure

Energy companies have to comply with stringent complaint-handling standards.

If you have a complaint about your energy supplier you should contact them in the first instance to give them a fair chance to sort out your problem.

Write to your energy supplier

You should complain directly to your energy supplier in the first instance - its details will be on your bill. Unless it's a simple problem, you should put your energy complaint in writing, either in a letter or email. Make sure you keep a copy of anything you send, including energy bills, and note when they were sent.

If your problem involves energy billing or meter readings, it's important to make a note of gas and electricity meter readings, and to record the dates on which they were taken.

Remember... before you complain:

  • stay calm! You are more likely to get a good result if you do not let your emotions get to you;
  • make sure that you know what you are unhappy about - is it that your bill is wrong? Is it that someone has been rude or unhelpful to you?
  • be clear and concise. If you are ringing about your complaint, make a note about what you want to talk about before you make the call, so you do not forget something. Also, have an idea of what the company could do to make things right for you. If you do not feel confident enough to speak to someone, try writing a letter or an email;
  • keep a record of what happens,  notes of any calls you make or any emails or letters you send. Also keep any correspondence you get back from the energy company.

Get further energy advice

If your energy supplier doesn't resolve the problem or you're unhappy with its response, you should contact Consumer Direct for further advice about resolving your complaint.

It can give advice but cannot take up your complaint with an energy supplier on your behalf. If appropriate, Consumer Direct may forward the details of your complaint to an agency that is authorised to take direct action, such as Trading Standards.

If you are a vulnerable consumer (such as a low-income household or you receive certain benefits) you can also contact energy watchdog Consumer Focus which may be able to take up your complaint on your behalf. Consumer Focus will not be able to take up your complaint unless you've given your energy supplier a chance to resolve the problem first, so you'll need to explain how the supplier responded to your complaint and why you're unhappy with it.

Resolving your energy complaint

Energy suppliers have a set time limit in which to resolve most complaints. The time limit is eight weeks for the big six energy suppliers (British Gas, EDF, Eon, Npower, Scottish and Southern Energy and Scottish Power) and 12 weeks for smaller suppliers.

If your complaint to your energy supplier reaches a deadlock, contact the Energy Supply Ombudsman. A deadlock means you've been through your energy company's complaints procedure and reached a point where your supplier says they can do nothing more to produce a satisfactory solution.

The Ombudsman has the power to decide what action should be taken and can force an energy supplier to take action. This could be some practical steps to sort your problem out, an apology, explanation or compensation.

Complaining to the Energy Ombudsman

If you have already complained to the energy company, there are three situations where you can involve the Energy Ombudsman:

1.  Eight weeks have passed

If after eight weeks of making your complaint you are still not happy with the way the energy company is dealing with your complaint, you can pass it to the Energy Ombudsman.

You must do this within nine months from the date you first told the company about the problem. 

2.  Getting the company's final response

You might get a letter from the energy company that says it will no longer be handling your complaint.  The letter might say for example that the energy company can't do anything for you and that is its final position. We call this a 'deadlock letter'.

You might reach a deadlock situation with the energy company before the eight weeks have passed. This is the point where the company and the customer cannot reach agreement, having explored all possible alternatives and approaches. The company might issue a deadlock letter if:

  • there is no new information to be gained on the complaint from you  or the energy company;
  • the complaint escalation processes have been followed; 
  • you  and the company still cannot agree to a resolution within the company's complaint procedures; and 
  • having more time will not improve this position.

You have six months from the date of the letter to pass your complaint to the Energy Ombudsman.

3.  Unable to complain

If you experience real difficulty in registering a complaint with the energy company, the Energy Ombudsman may be able to help. Contact the Energy Ombudsman for further advice.

4. The Energy Ombudsman complaint form

When you contact the Energy Ombudsman, you will be asked what has happened and a decision will be made if they have the power to deal with your complaint.

A member of the enquiry team will write down the details and send you a filled-in complaint form.

Make sure that you:

  • check the information on the form;
  • do not write any additional information on the form;
  • return one signed copy, keeping the other for your records and;

send copies of any additional information you have to support your complaint.

How the Energy Ombudsman deal with complaints about energy companies

If your complaint is accepted, and you agree that they should do so, they will ask the company you're complaining about for the information about what has happened so far.  A decision is then made whether your complaint is one that can be dealt with and you will be informed.

How long it takes for a resolution depends on how complicated the complaint is and how quickly they can get to the facts.  To help the complaint you should send copies of all the information you have about your complaint when you return the signed complaint form to the Energy Ombudsman. During the process you will only hear from the Energy Ombudsman if more information is required.

When a decision has been reached, you will receive a letter with their provisional conclusion. If you and the energy company accept this as a settlement of the dispute, it will become the final decision and the energy company must put in place any remedy that is called for.

Debt during a dispute

If you are complaining about a bill and you are having difficulty paying the full outstanding amount you should contact the energy company to let them know. If the ombudsman decides to make an award or to correct a charge this would be credited to you at the end of the process. If your complaint is accepted the Energy Ombudsman can ask the company not to pursue you for the disputed charges but it may be unwilling to do this. You should try and continue to pay for your undisputed on going charges.

What the ombudsman might offer in the final decision

If an award is offered, and you accept it, then the energy company has agreed that it will keep to the decision and take the action asked for in the final decision. The company may provide any or all of the following:

  • a service or some practical action that will benefit you;
  • an apology or explanation;
  • a financial award.

It is not the Ombudsman's role to punish energy companies when deciding what solution to provide. If a financial award is needed, this will be the amount that is considered necessary to settle a particular dispute. This can be as much as £5000 (including VAT).

So that the same problem is less likely to happen again, it may also recommend that the energy company should make changes to its policies or procedures.

Once you have received the ombudsman's final decision, you have up to two months to decide whether you accept or decline the decision. During this time you may wish to speak to friends, relatives or consumer advice services such as a North Ayrshire Citizens Advice Bureau, about the decision made.

It is important to let the Energy Ombudsman know your decision as soon as possible even if you decide not to accept it.

Accepting the final decision

If you accept the final decision, the energy company has agreed that it will keep to the decision and take the actions asked for.  The company has up to 28 days to put in place any remedy called for. The Energy Ombudsman will contact the company until satisfied that this has been done.

Rejecting the final decision

If you do not accept the final decision or do not accept it within two months, you lose the right to the solution offered in the final decision.

However, you will be free to follow other routes to try to sort out the problem in a way that suits you better.

Share this page:
Get advice online


Get Factsheet
Web Standards and Accessibility
Make this website talk with Browse Aloud...look, click, listen

Understanding your energy bills

uSwitch, compare suppliers to switch and save online

uSwitch Gas & Electricity News

Are you eligible for the Warm Home Discount?
Tue, 02 Sep 2014 13:53:02 +0000
According to research carried out by the Home Heat Helpline, 3.5m vulnerable and low-income households across the country are not receiving the financial support they are entitled to, under schemes such as the Warm Home Discount. The Warm Home Discount is a grant of up to £140 to help pay for electricity, aimed at vulnerable [...]

Millions set to miss out on energy rebate
Mon, 01 Sep 2014 09:24:46 +0000
According to an impact assessment carried out by the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC), suppliers have said not all eligible customers will be able to receive their £12 rebate. Affected customers could include those who are moving home or switching energy supplier as their accounts are “in transit”. According to the Telegraph, about [...]

Ofgem: Energy suppliers will see profits fall over coming year
Fri, 29 Aug 2014 08:51:36 +0000
New figures released by Ofgem suggest that energy suppliers will be making about £102 per dual fuel energy customer, over the next 12 months. The numbers are in stark contrast with previous estimates issued by the energy regulator, which stated that the big six would see their profit margins per customer double in the next [...]

Phil Glenister and uSwitch team up for new ad
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 09:17:12 +0000
Our latest TV advert features actor Phil Glenister trying to enjoy an English breakfast. Unfortunately he doesn’t quite manage! You can also see a selection of outtakes from the advert in the video below. WARNING – Contains offensive language Let us know what you think of the videos in the comments section.

Big six energy companies see rise in complaints and number of people switching
Tue, 26 Aug 2014 09:56:02 +0000
A record number of complaints have seen many of the big six forced to make payments for failing to provide adequate service levels. Last week EDF Energy agreed to pay £3m as a result of a 30% increase in customer complaint levels. In addition to rising complaints, small suppliers are now offering the cheapest deals [...]

EDF Energy told to pay £3m for failing to handle complaints
Fri, 22 Aug 2014 09:09:04 +0000
The payment follows an investigation, led by energy regulator Ofgem, which revealed a 30% rise in the number of complaints aimed at the energy supplier The fine follows the problematic installation of a new IT system at EDF Energy in 2011. The new system did not allow the supplier to receive and process customer grievances [...]

Labour promises tougher energy regulations
Thu, 21 Aug 2014 09:52:34 +0000
Caroline Flint, the shadow energy secretary, has pledged that if elected, the Labour party would create a new energy regulator with the power to remove licences from energy suppliers which breach regulations. Flint also criticized the current government for not doing enough to keep bills down: “On David Cameron’s watch, energy bills in Britain have [...]

British homes waste £227m by leaving appliances on standby – infographic
Wed, 20 Aug 2014 00:07:56 +0000
According to new research carried out by uSwitch, households across the UK are losing £227m, per year, by leaving their electrical appliances on standby. Of those surveyed, 76% admitted to leaving electrical goods on standby and a further 38% said they did so all the time. The average home leaves appliances on standby for a [...]

UK energy bills rising faster than almost everywhere else
Mon, 18 Aug 2014 10:10:05 +0000
According to the House of Commons Library, British homes have seen their energy bills rise faster than the vast majority of developed countries. An increase of 21% in three years is the equivalent of a £221 rise per year, for the average household. The research was carried out using figures from the Department of Energy [...]

Energy switchers saved more than £300 since last winter – infographic
Fri, 15 Aug 2014 09:58:15 +0000
New research carried out by uSwitch, shows that consumers who switched from one of the big six energy companies’ standard plans before last winter, are likely to have saved around £300 over the past year. During the run up to last winter’s energy price rises, the cheapest and most popular dual fuel deal available was [...]

Our Offices:
Arran CAB
Ormidale Sports Centre
Shore Road
Isle of Arran
KA27 8DL
Tel: 01770 302 710
Irvine CAB
22A Eglinton Street
KA12 8AS
Tel: 01294 278 051
Kilbirnie CAB
43 Main Street
KA25 7BX
Tel: 01505 682 830
Largs CAB
32-34 Boyd Street
KA30 8LE
Tel: 01475 673 586
Saltcoats CAB
87 Dockhead Street
KA21 5ED
Tel: 01294 467 848

© NACAS. All rights reserved. NACAS is recognised as a charity by the Inland Revenue (Scotland), Number SC028222. The North Ayrshire Citizens Advice Service is a Company Limited by Guarantee Number 188819. Registered Office: 87 Dockhead Street, Saltcoats, KA21 5ED